Again pulling from the vault/ hoard for today’s post, because I can and I want to. I was very flattered to be nominated by Keira @ Headphones and Hyperboles for the Liebster Award for a second time — or technically third: I combined two nominations and the accompanying questions in my first Liebster Award post — and I look forward to sharing my answers to Keira’s questions!
- Acknowledge the blog that gave it to you and display the award
- Answer 11 questions that the blogger gives you
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 blogs and notify them of their nomination
- Give these blogs 11 questions to answer
What is your favourite colour? Has it changed over your life, and if so, why?
Currently it’s a tie between navy blue and teal, but it’s definitely changed. For a long time it was purple, and I’m told that when I was a child it was red. I don’t know that there are deeper reasons, though, it’s pretty much just whatever color I most like the look of.
If you were kidnapped and were allowed one phone call before they killed you, who would you call?
My parents, no contest. While I know that might be a lame and boring answer, it’s the honest truth — I’m lucky to have a pretty great relationship with my parents (now that we’re past the teen angst years, anyway).
Do you ever think that the movie/TV show is better than the book?
Oh, totally. Probably the most dramatic example that comes to mind is Bridge to Terabithia, which is one of my favorite movies yet I really couldn’t get into the book. But I do usually think the book is better, especially if I read it before I watch the adaptation.
🔗 RELATED: Should you always read the book first?
What is the song you have on repeat the most at the moment?
Since it just came out, “You Signed Up For This” by Maisie Peters. Before that it was “Glowing Review,” also by Maisie Peters.
What is something you like to do to relax?
Lately I’ve found myself laying in bed staring at my ceiling.
(No thoughts head empty.) Most likely the window is open for some fresh air. Maybe I have music or an audiobook playing. I might have a nap or just space out.
Do you believe in things like astrology?
Hm. I don’t really believe in the sense that I put any stock in my horoscope, but I will say that I very much fit the stereotype of a Capricorn (also Year of the Tiger, while we’re on the subject). I do believe in tarot readings done by someone who knows what they’re doing … or myself.
If you had to describe yourself in one sentence, what would that sentence be?
I always want to try to be better; I want to learn more; I want to do more.
(Alternatively, if you think using two semicolons is cheating the one sentence prompt: I always want to try to be better, and I want to learn more and do more.)
What is a fictional character you hated?
This one took some thinking, and I almost said I couldn’t think of any … and then I remembered Lock from the Dreamer trilogy (most recently, Mister Impossible) by Maggie Stiefvater. There’s a manipulative power-hungry asshole if I’ve ever seen one.
Do you have a book you loved, but you don’t think you will ever read again?
Absolutely. Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan — to name just one example — was so strikingly composed, with lovely prose and vivid imagery and compelling characters and a plot to keep you wondering. But it was also pretty disturbing, and I think a lot of the tension relies on not knowing exactly how things will play out.
What is something that everyone else seems to be able to do, but you just can’t? (For example, I cannot roll my rs).
Assuming the question is hyperbolic, I’m gonna go with drive without anxiety taking the wheel. I know I’m not alone, but the majority of the eligible population doesn’t seem to have this problem. (By the way, I can’t roll my R’s either, so that makes two of us at least!)
What is your favourite food?
Um … depends on the day, my mood, etc., etc. But asked on the spot, I guess I’d say Taiwanese beef noodle soup? It features in many happy memories, such as visits to my grandparents in Taiwan, and it’s rich and flavorful and comforting.
Facts About Me
[It’s been a while, so I honestly can’t remember what I have and haven’t shared on the blog; apologies if these all turn out to be repeats and/or boring.]
- I’m a barista at a certain popular coffee chain, but I actually don’t drink coffee myself. (My go-to drink is a London Fog or matcha latte.)
- Related to the above, I’m an insomniac with very low caffeine tolerance.
- I also have very low alcohol tolerance. The Asian flush is very real.
- I’m 5’0″ and I’ve pretty much always been the shortest in my class and my friend group.
- Stereotypes (and my total lack of coordination) notwithstanding, I was on my Chinese school basketball team.
- Swimming is basically the only sport I’ve ever been any good at.
- My lucky number is 13, in part because it’s my birth date and also the number of letters in my first + last name, and in part because I’m a contrary person who was always told it was unlucky.
- By nature I’m a night owl, most focused in the evenings, but I do like very early mornings … when I manage to be awake for them.
- I’ve been playing Pokémon Go again, for which I would like to blame parental pressure from my mom. (My trainer code is 3280 2290 3391, if you also play and want to add me!)
- My starter was Bulbasaur, but my favorite and my PoGo buddy is Swablu.
- Although MBTI gives me varying results, the 16Personalities test consistently labels me an INFX-T — it’s about 50/50 between J and P, skewing J most days.
- Meeghan @ Meeghan Reads
- Jayati @ It’s Just a Coffee Addicted Bibliophile
- Ena (EK) @ Fly(er) On the Wall
- Meaghan @ Hail and Well Read
- Kristina @ Books and Dachshunds
- Kaya @ A Fictional Bookworm
- Ren @ Strange Storyteller
- Sarah @ Bookish Rantings
- Ahana Rao @ Heart’s Content
- Jamsu @ Jamsu Dreams
- DB @ DB’s Guide to the Galaxy
- What is your favorite underrated book/ series/ character?
- If a candle was designed just for you, what would it smell like?
- Have you ever been inspired enough to actually try a hobby or food from a book?
- When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- How do you treat yourself to celebrate an accomplishment or to turn around a bad day?
- What is your favorite format to read in (print, ebook, audiobook)?
- Do you color code (calendars, folders for classes, etc.)? If so, share what colors correspond with which topics! If not, do you have color associations for certain topics (e.g., math is red)?
- Name a song that brings back memories.
- Name a book that brings back memories.
- Serif fonts or sans serif fonts?
- Share three posts (from any platform) that you’re especially proud of!
As always, I know so many amazing bloggers and try to rotate my nominations, so please don’t feel bad if I didn’t include you this time! And if you want to answer any of my questions in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you regardless of whether I officially nominated you!