The year is 1926, and Shanghai hums to the tune of debauchery.
A blood feud between two gangs runs the streets red, leaving the city helpless in the grip of chaos. At the heart of it all is eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai, a former flapper who has returned to assume her role as the proud heir of the Scarlet Gang — a network of criminals far above the law. Their only rivals in power are the White Flowers, who have fought the Scarlets for generations. And behind every move is their heir, Roma Montagov, Juliette’s first love … and first betrayal.
But when gangsters on both sides show signs of instability culminating in clawing their own throats out, the people start to whisper. Of a contagion, a madness. Of a monster in the shadows. As the deaths stack up, Juliette and Roma must set their guns — and grudges — aside and work together, for if they can’t stop this mayhem, then there will be no city left for either to rule.
Genre(s): YA, Historical, Fantasy, Retellings
Series: These Violent Delights #1
Published by Margaret K. McElderry Books on November 17, 2020
[ add it on Goodreads ]
MINE TO DESTROY
“The lover and the liar, the liar and the lover.
They switched those roles between themselves like it was a game.”
- I Forgot – Clara Mae
- Illicit Affairs – Taylor Swift
- The Black and White – The Band CAMINO
- Ruin My Life – Zara Larsson
- Back Together – The Felix
- Take on the World – You Me At Six
- Love Story – Taylor Swift
- Secret Love Song, Pt. II – Little Mix
- Almost Forgot – Against the Current
- Poison & Wine – The Civil Wars
- Lovers Or Liars – Lauren Aquilina
- Have you read These Violent Delights yet, or is it at least on your TBR?
- What are your favorite songs about love and heartbreak?