Based on posts I’ve read and chats I’ve had with friends, clearly I’m not the only one suffering from a lack of motivation lately. And these past few weeks have been particularly rough — loneliness hit hard, teaming up with the stress of finishing up my semester online to make me an unproductive lump hiding from the world.
To be clear: it is absolutely okay to not be Doing All The Things (reading, blogging, whatever hobby you wanted to pick up). Life is hard right now.
However, I always feel better when I have some semblance of routines to fall back on and can check at least one or two things off my daily to-do list. So this is me, freshly freed from classes, holding myself accountable to get out of bed and Do A Thing a few times a week.
Where’d You Go, (Previous) Routines?
Last month I posted my Blog Maintenance Checklists, which have basically been the extent of my blogging routine — I aimed to complete these sets of tasks regularly, but I didn’t have set times of the day/week/month to work on them since my schedule changed so much.
(I also talked more generally about my Prescheduling, Blog Organization & Mood Blogging process last year; not a ton has changed since then.)
And it was all working fine, in part because I was consistently using my bullet journal and I had classwork to get me into a workflow.
Okay, and it was something I could procrastinate by blogging. Nothing like avoidance to get other things done.
Now, though? I’ve fallen (behind) and I
can’t need to get back up.
I Got New Goals (I Count ‘Em)
(What gets measured gets managed, a journey of a thousand posts begins with a single word, and all that jazz.)
- Over the rest of this week, ease back into routines:
- Writing posts
- Replying to comments
- Over the rest of this month, take care of one-time tasks:
- Clear out blog email
- Update About page
- Update review policy
- Spring clean (and reorganize) Goodreads shelves
- Work towards consistency:
- Prewrite and schedule each week’s posts the preceding week(end)
- Bloghop a bit each day (at least 2-3 posts)
- Keep up with comments
- Finish reviews the same week I finish the book; cross-post as needed
- Do you have blogging routines?
- If you’ve been keeping up the motivation/discipline to blog, what’s your secret?
- If you haven’t been keeping up with blogging, please know that you’re not alone — and I hope you’ll find something helpful in this post and/or the comments! ❤