If productivity YouTube has given me one major takeaway, it’s to set up automated reminders and systems because you will inevitably forget. Plus, even if I know my GYST list somewhat by heart, it’s still fun and motivating to check things off lists!
Over the year or so I’ve been blogging, I’ve gradually developed my own routine of recurring blog maintenance tasks. Because let’s face it, I need Todoist and my planner to scream at me to do these things and not just let my blog slowly succumb to entropy.
I definitely didn’t come up with all of these items on my own, though I’ve made adjustments for my personal preferences and blogging situation; especial thanks are due to Becky @ Uptown Oracle, Clo @ Cuppa Clo, and Soph @ Bookwyrming Thoughts for providing so much blogging advice
and emotional support.
This post is part of Bookending Spring 2020, which is organized by Sam & Clo!
It is not based on a prompt, but hopefully you’ll find it helpful in your spring tidying and for general organization going forward.
How I Set Reminders
Because I don’t trust myself to remember everything every week, I set repeating reminders in Todoist for these tasks, so that they’ll automatically pop up. Usually I’ll just use the app to reference the list, write them down [see next point], then come back and check them all off at once.
Then I write them down in my TN/planer to motivate myself to get them done so that I don’t have to keep rewriting them every time I start a new daily to-do list. Here I’ll check them off one-by-one as I get them done, partly to keep track and partly to motivate myself to keep going. It’s probably not the most efficient method, but it’s been pretty effective.
- Clear out blog email inbox.
- Reply to and return comments, if any remain. (I’ve fallen behind on this one, admittedly.)
- Update books & blogging spreadsheet.
- Write and schedule next week’s posts.
- Update end-of-month posts. (This reduces my workload at the end of the month, when I just need to add final updates and proofread the post!)
- Catch up on reviews. (I don’t always have time for this one, but I’m working on making it part of the weekly routine.)
- Update stats in blogging spreadsheet and Netgalley/Edelweiss bios.
- Update reading challenge posts and bingo boards.
- Update review archive pages: by title & by rating.
- Export blog backup. (Ideally I’d do this at least every other week, but honestly I just can’t be bothered.)
- Make post schedule for next month.
- Make post drafts, outlines, header images for next month. (Or at least start — batching these easier steps saves time in the long run.)
- View blog as a visitor would (i.e., open the page rather than just looking from the WordPress dashboard), just to make sure everything’s working and looking good.
- Check that links and images all still work/appear as intended.
- Look over About page and review policy; make changes as needed.
- Look over sidebar and navigation menu; make changes as needed.
- Reorganize my Goodreads library: delete and add shelves as needed.
- Do you have a blog maintenance checklist and/or routine?
- What are your least/most favorite blog maintenance tasks?
- Have I missed any recurring tasks or checks that should be added to the list?