I’m pleased to report that at least as far as reading goes, I’m starting the year off strong — this month I averaged a book per day, though it was only possible because I was on winter break for most of it and most of my classes have started off pretty slowly.
Since the theme for Devour Your TBR was January Jam Jar, I repurposed an empty hot cocoa tin and finally tried out a TBR jar! On the whole it went pretty well, saving me quite a bit of decision fatigue (and the overwhelm that came with looking over my owned-TBR); it’s definitely something that I want to continue with.
Probably the biggest surprise for me this month came from my decision to track how many books I added to my collection, with the goal of making sure I don’t totally undermine my #StartOnYourShelfathon progress: Not counting any books for class, I added 22 new books to my collection (between library checkouts, Gutenberg/Amazon freebies, and ARCs), which was much higher than I was expecting and also alarmingly close to the number of books I read this month.
So in effect, I made only a small dent in my owned-TBR. But I did have some memorable reads and interesting stats, so let’s take a closer look at those.
Reading Challenges Check-In
Read this month: 28 books
Total Progress: 28 / 75 (37.3%) ← probably going to increase this one!
Read this month: 20 / 16
[goal: half of this month’s total read count = 0.5(31) = 16]
Current total: 37 / 100 ← probably going to increase this one too
Remaining priority owned-TBR: 168
Read this month: 7
Current total: 7
Read this month: 6 / 3
Current total: 6 / 31
Current badge: Philippine tarsier
Read this month: 3
Total Progress: 3 / 12 (25%)
State of the ARC
State of the ARC is a monthly meme created by Evelina @ Avalinah’s Books.
Since I’ve been focusing on my owned-TBR and other backlist books, this month I actually haven’t added too many ARCs to my pile … though I also haven’t read many of the ones I have 😅
Actually, as you can see from the graph above, I’ve read and acquired in equal number this month (3 for each) and am still at 6 remaining ARCs.
- Foul Is Fair by Hannah Capin | ★★★★☆
- Selected by Barb Han | [blog tour upcoming]
- The Sky Is Mine by Amy Beashel | ★★✯☆☆
Read This Month
Clicking on the titles will take you to the book’s Goodreads page; clicking on the stars (which indicate my rating) will take you to my review. [ARC] indicates an advance review copy; [RC] indicates a post-release review copy.
- This Is How You Survive by Lana Rafaela Cindric [reread] | ★★★★★
- Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury | ★★★★☆
- Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman | ★★★✯☆
- A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews | ★★✯☆☆
- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende | ★★★★☆
- The Never Tilting World by Rin Chupeco | ★★★★☆
- Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink & Jeffrey Cranor | ★★★★✯
- Foul Is Fair by Hannah Capin [ARC] | ★★★★☆
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare | ★★★★☆
- Our Wayward Fate by Gloria Chao | ★★★✯☆
- Night Sky with Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong | ★★★✯☆
- These Witches Don’t Burn by Isabel Sterling | ★★★☆☆
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck | ★★★★☆
- The Defining Decade by Meg Jay | ★★✯☆☆
- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri | ★★★★☆
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster [reread] | ★★★★✯
- Infinity Son by Adam Silvera | ★★★✯☆
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart [reread] | ★★★★✯
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart [reread] | ★★★★✯
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart [reread] | ★★★★☆
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages by Trenton Lee Stewart | ★★★★☆
- The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire by Dan Howell & Phil Lester [audiobook] | ★★★★✯
- Selected by Barb Han [ARC] | [blog tour upcoming]
- The Sky Is Mine by Amy Beashel [ARC] | ★★✯☆☆
- The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee | ★★★★★
- The Iron Will of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee | ★★★★✯
- The Upside of Falling Down by Rebekah Crane | ★★✯☆☆
- They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera [audiobook] | ★★★✯☆
- My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by Fredrik Backman | ★★★★✯
- A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver | ★★★★★
- Dog Songs by Mary Oliver | ★★★★✯
31 read + 1 DNF
3.85 average rating
- There There by Tommy Orange
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath [audiobook]
- Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
- How many books did you read this month? How many books are you hoping to read next month?
- What are the best books you read this month?
- Are you currently participating in any reading challenges and/or readathons?