For all the excitement of a new decade, honestly my January hasn’t been all that eventful? I do have a few updates for y’all, but it mostly feels like I’ve spent my time regaining my footing, in preparation for the coming months.
(I’ve decided to try putting my monthly reading updates into their own post, so that’s not being covered today but will be up soon!)
Reading & Blogging
- Read 10 books for #StartOnYourShelfathon. ✓
- (I’ve actually read 16 + DNF’d 1 from my priority-owned-TBR.)
- Read 3 books for #YARC2020. ✓
- (I’ve actually read 6 books by Asian authors.)
- Prewrite and schedule all January posts before I return to college. 🗙
- I had quite a bit of back-to-school prep to do, including preparing to take a Spanish placement exam, and I wanted to try to catch up on some Goodreads reviews.
- But I haven’t missed a post date, at least.
- Bloghop at least once a week. ✓
- The real goal was 3-5 times per week, but I’m glad I set the goal low and realistic since I can check this one off too. Once I get into the rhythm of this semester, hopefully I’ll be able to bloghop more!
- Finish updating internal pingbacks (stretch goal). 🗙
- I got pretty busy, preparing for then actually starting a new semester. But I made decent headway, so I’m satisfied with my progress.
- Meet with academic advisors; come up with plans for future semesters, summers, internships, etc. ✓
- While a lot of things are still up in the air (waiting for the school-to-school transfer application to open, waiting to hear back from summer positions, etc.) I have a much better idea of what paths are open to me!
- Continue working on research project. ✓
- Galileo’s letters are actually fascinating, but don’t ask me about them because I don’t really know what I’m talking about — I’m just helping out.
- Finish Spanish Duolingo. 🗙
- Since I basically had to restart from the beginning of each lesson, even trying to test out of as many levels as possible has taken a really, really long time. (I’ve reached Level 5 up to about checkpoint 5, and Level 2-3 on the remaining lessons.)
- I also currently have a 26 day streak, which is a personal record.
- Until I return to college, practice driving every day and play piano at least a few times a week. ✓
- Okay, I didn’t practice driving every day. But I passed the behind-the-wheel road test to get my license, which was the purpose of all that practice!
- Piano wasn’t really a priority, because it always stops being fun when I try to force myself to do it. But I did enjoy several sessions while I was home.
- (And, of course, spend quality time with my family.) ✓
- Journal every night. ✓
- So far this year I’ve missed only 6 days — close enough!
- My 21st birthday was this month. I didn’t really celebrate by doing anything special, or even getting a cake, which was fine by me.
- As I’ve already mentioned (and shared with pretty much all my Discord server friends), I got my driver’s license at long last! Well, okay, the actual card isn’t yet in my possession, but that’s just a technicality.
- In case you didn’t make the connection, as a Californian citizen I am now legal to drink and legal to drive.
- Though honestly I’m not a huge fan of either, so there’s no chance I’ll do both together, don’t worry.
- One sleepless six-hour redeye flight later, I’m back on the East Coast for another semester. Most of my classes this semester are related to linguistics! A big change from pharmacy to be sure, but one that makes me incredibly happy.
- I’ve met up with most of my friends at least once or twice since I’ve been back, and I have classes with some of them. Definitely looking forward to having some semblance of a social life again, LOL.
- After a bit of paperwork, I’m once again all set to work at the on-campus writing center! (I first tutored last fall, but couldn’t make it work with my class schedule after that first semester.)
A Few Good Posts
Best of Nine Tale Vixen
- Best of 2019
- New Year Book Tag (Original)
- 21 Milestone Reads [for my 21st birthday]
- A Letter for 2025 Me
- (How) Do You Customize Book Recs?
Best of the (Book) Blogosphere
- CW @ The Quiet Pond: Pondathon [post series/readathon]
- Charvi @ Not Just Fiction: Read the Rainbow [Announcement Post]
- Kal @ Reader Voracious: Reading “The Raven” To You For My Birthday
- Clo @ Cuppa Clo: What Made Me Rebrand My Blog?
- Haley @ The Caffeinated Reader: LOTR Marathon & Feast
- Kristina @ Books and Dachshunds: My Dachshunds Saved My Life
- Caitlin Althea: WordPress Tips & Tricks Part Two
- What goals/plans did you achieve this past month?
- Are there any that you didn’t quite reach? Will you be trying again next month, or moving on to other pursuits?
- Of the many awesome posts I couldn’t include in this roundup, are there any that I should make sure to hop to?