August was nearly over — the month of apples and falling stars, the last care-free month for the school children. The days were not hot, but sunny and limpidly clear — the first sign of advancing autumn.– Victor Nekrasov
Can I get a refund on my summer vacation? I don’t feel like I had much of one, yet somehow the new semester is already upon me.
I honestly couldn’t summarize my August because I barely remember it; the most notable thing about the month seems to be that it’s already over and September is coming.
- My summer class finally ended! While there were some ups and downs as I continued struggling with the concept of daily studying, ultimately I passed and that’s all that matters.
- I finished my Goodreads reading challenge (150 books) & earned the Bengali tiger badge (51+ books by Asian authors)!
- Thanks in large part to my participation in ARC August and #Reviewathon, I’ve actually finished all but one ARC! (The last one is scheduled for a September buddy read, otherwise I might’ve tried to finish it off too.)
- After orientation this morning, it finally feels a bit more real that I’m starting my first professional year of pharmacy school. [More on that at the end of this post.]
My Best August Posts
- #Augvocacy2019: Not Your Stereotype [Guest Post on Shut Up, Shealea]
- Sunshine Blogger Award #2
- How I Created My Custom Rating System
Other Awesome August Posts
- Ally @ Ally Writes Things: How to: pretend that you know what you’re doing
- Caitlin @ Caitlin Althea: Are We Really Friends – or Do You Just Want Me to Comment on Your Blog?
- DB @ DB’s Guide to the Galaxy: Why You Should Go On an Arc Ban
- Clo @ Book Dragons: 2 Year Blogoversary! (ft My Favourite Posts)
- Haley @ The Caffeinated Reader: Content/Trigger Warnings
- Caitlin @ Caitlin Althea: 6 Pieces of Advice that’ll Get People to Follow Your Blog!! (coming from someone who’s picky about who she follows)
Clicking on the titles below will take you to the book’s Goodreads page; clicking on the flames (which indicate my rating out of 5) will take you to my review. Books marked as [ARC] were received as Advance Review Copies; [RC] indicates a post-release review copy.
11 total, 4.05 (!!!) average rating
- Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler | 🔥🔥🔥🔥 1/2
- Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood, read by Thérèse Plummer | 🔥🔥🔥
- Color Me In by Natasha Diaz [ARC] | 🔥🔥🔥 1/2
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan | 🔥🔥🔥
- The Grace Year by Kim Liggett [ARC] | 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
- How to Win At College by Cal Newport | 🔥🔥🔥🔥
- Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron [ARC] | 🔥🔥🔥🔥 1/2
- Love, Pride, Virtue, and Fate by Bharat Krishnan [ARC] | 🔥🔥🔥🔥
- The Furies by Katie Lowe [ARC] | 🔥🔥🔥🔥
- What Kind of Girl by Alyssa Sheinmel | 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
- Atomic Habits by James Clear | 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Currently reading: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green
ARCs I Have
- September 3 – Eclipse the Skies by Maura Milan | 🔥🔥🔥🔥
- September 10 – Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron | 🔥🔥🔥🔥 1/2
- September 10 – Stargazing by Jen Wang | 🔥🔥🔥🔥
- September 12 – The Immortal Prudence Blackwood by Stephanie Grey | DNF
- September 17 – A Hero Born (Legends of the Condor Heroes #1) by Jin Yong, translated by Anna Holmwood | 🔥🔥🔥
- September 19 – The Immortal City by Amy Kuivalainen | DNF
Waiting for Release Day
- September 3 – Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi
- September 10 – How to Be Remy Cameron by Julian Winters
- September 10 – The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
- September 17 – Snowflake, AZ by Marcus Sedgwick
- September 24 – The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages by Trenton Lee Stewart
- September 24 – The Tyrant’s Tomb by Rick Riordan
Since I’ve gotten through essentially all my ARCs, I can return to my backlist TBR, maybe finish off some series and more reading challenges. I’m not quite sure yet which specific titles I want to pick up next, but I have plenty of options. I’m also not quite sure how much time I’ll have to read, but at least I’m not under release-date pressure anymore!
My classes start on Tuesday; it’s hard to believe that the new school year is already here. Of course I’m looking forward to getting back into my extracurricular activities, seeing my friends somewhat regularly, and all that — but it’s going to be a really busy time. Quite honestly, I’ve been looking over my syllabi and they scare me a little bit.
So after a lot of thought, I’ve decided to go on semi-hiatus for the semester. I have an upcoming post with more details, but basically my only blog / bookish social media activity will be prescheduled. (I will still be active on Discord though!)
What’s the best book you read in August? Did you read any of this month’s releases, or ARCs of September/October releases? Have you set any goals for September?